Re: MonetDB test says that PostgreSQL often has errors or missing results

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dann Corbit <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: MonetDB test says that PostgreSQL often has errors or missing results
Date: 2010-01-20 05:11:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dann Corbit wrote:
> See:
> http://monetdb.cwi.nl/SQL/Benchmark/TPCH/
> If the result is correct, then the problem queries should be added to
> the regression test suite.
> If the result is not correct, then perhaps they could get assistance on
> proper configuration of PostgreSQL and rerun the tests.

We've already gotten a couple of reports that talks about the specific
reasons why PostgreSQL 8.2 doesn't do well on this test, such as
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg120882.html
(broken queries) and
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-09/msg00157.php
(why the default setting are completely ludicrous for this test).

One of these days I'm going to re-run the whole suite with 8.4 and see
how we're doing. Seriously doubt any queries are still flat out broken,
given how many reports I've seen of successful (albeit slow sometimes)
runs of the whole thing. That's just MonetDB being negligent in
reporting things to favor their own agenda. It's completely permissible
to customize queries that won't execute at all in order to fix their
compatibility with a particular database, the fact that they didn't look
into that or even say what was wrong is just shoddy journalism. I'm
hoping to have some crow to serve to them about another benchmark result
they've published soon, they're back to really rubbing me the wrong way
again lately.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com