Re: Hot Standby and handling max_standby_delay

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby and handling max_standby_delay
Date: 2010-01-18 17:30:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Speaking of which, just where is the defense that makes sure that
> walsender and walreceiver are compatible?  We should be checking not
> only version, but all of the configuration variables that are embedded
> in pg_control.

That happens at startup when pg_control is read, before streaming
starts. Remember that you need to start with a base backup.

We also check that the system_identifier in the standby matches that in
the primary, when the connection is established. That protects you from
starting streaming from wrong base backup.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas