Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-16 13:21:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Il 16/01/2010 11:48, Dimitri Fontaine ha scritto:
> Matteo Beccati<php(at)beccati(dot)com> writes:
>> Anyway, I've made further changes and I would say that at this point the PoC
>> is feature complete. There surely are still some rough edges and a few
>> things to clean up, but I'd like to get your feedback once again:
>>
>> http://archives.beccati.org
>
> I've been clicking around and like the speedy feeling and the Thread
> index appearing under any mail. Also getting the attachments seems to be
> just working™. I've also checked than this "local thread" works on month
> boundaries, so that you're POC is in a way already better than the
> current archives solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Only missing is the search, but we have tsearch and pg_trgm masters not
> far away…

I haven't even looked at it as I was under the impression that the old
engine could still be used. If not, adding search support should be
fairly easy.

>> You will find that pgsql-general and -hackers are subscribed and getting
>> messages live, wihle -hackers-history and -www have been imported from the
>> archives (about 200k and 1.5k messages respectively at 50 messages/s).
>
> Tried clicking over there and very far in the past indexes show no
> messages. Here's an example:
>
> http://archives.beccati.org/pgsql-hackers-history/1996-09/by/thread

Yeah, there are a few messages in the archives with a wrong date header.
The list is generated using from min(date) to now(), so there are holes.
At some point I'll run a few queries to fix that.

>> Also, I'd need some help with the CTE query that was picking a wrong plan
>> and led me to forcibly disable merge joins inside the application when
>> executing it. Plans are attached.
>
> Sorry, not from me, still a CTE noob.

Actually the live db doesn't suffer from that problem anymore, but I've
able to reproduce the issue with a few days old backup running on a test
8.5alpha3 instance that still has a stock postgresql.conf.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/