Re: Testing with concurrent sessions

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Tan <mtanhl(at)gmail(dot)com>, david(at)kineticode(dot)com
Subject: Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-14 20:08:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Markus Wanner wrote:
> Sorry, if that didn't get clear. I'm trying to put together something I
> can release real soon now (tm). I'll keep you informed.

Okay, here we go: dtester version 0.0.

This emerged out of Postgres-R, where I don't just need to test multiple
client connections, but multiple postmasters interacting with each
other. None the less, it may be suitable for other needs as well,
especially testing with concurrent sessions.

I've decided to release this as a separate project named dtester, as
proposed by Michael Tan (thanks for your inspiration).

It's certainly missing lots of things, mainly documentation. However,
I've attached a patch which integrates nicely into the Postgres
Makefiles, so you just need to say: make dcheck.

That very same patch includes a test case with three concurrent
transactions with circular dependencies, where the current SERIALIZABLE
isolation level fails to provide serializability.

Installing dtester itself is as simple as 'python setup.py install' in
the extracted archive's directory.

Go try it, read the code and simply ask, if you get stuck. I'll try to
come up with some more documentation and such...

Regards

Markus Wanner