Re: Slow "Select count(*) ..." query on table with 60 Mio. rows

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow "Select count(*) ..." query on table with 60 Mio. rows
Date: 2010-01-14 18:49:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>

>> There's a whole list of FAQs that are documented on the wiki but
>> not in the main FAQ yet leftover from before the main FAQ was
>> hosted there. You can see them all at
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions
>>
>> I just haven't had time to merge those all usefully into the main
>> FAQ.
>>

> Well, unless you object to the way I did it, there's one down.
> Should I remove it from the list of "Other FAQs" on the page you
> cite?

Sure; everyone should feel free to assimilate into the main FAQ and wipe
out anything on that smaller list. Those are mainly topics where the
discussion of workarounds and approaches can be much longer than
standard FAQ length, so I suspect many of the answers are going to be a
very brief summary with a link to longer discussion. If you come across
a really small one, we might even wipe out the original page once it's
merged in.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com