Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: a heavy duty operation on an "unused" table kills my server
Date: 2010-01-13 05:14:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Eduardo Piombino wrote:
> Hi list, I'm having a problem when dealing with operations that asks too
> much CPU from the server.
> The scenario is this:

A nice description below, but ... you give no information about your system: number of CPUs, disk types and configuration, how much memory, what have you changed in your Postgres configuration? And what operating system, what version of Postgres, etc., etc. The more information you give, the better the answer.

If you're operating on a single disk with a tiny amount of memory, and old, misconfigured Postgres on a laptop computer, that's a whole different problem than if you're on a big sytem with 16 CPUs and a huge RAID 1+0 with battery-backed cache.

Craig