Re: NOT NULL violation and error-message

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Takahiro Itagaki" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "Andreas Joseph Krogh" <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NOT NULL violation and error-message
Date: 2010-01-12 17:58:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I feel like we ought to be doing this in a way where the output is
> properly escaped. Right now:

Yeah, that's been an occasional irritation for me, even though I
don't actually use quote characters in any of my quoted identifiers.
Also, tab-completion is irritating in not recognizing matching
column names when you start with a quote if the column name is
entirely lower case.

I would complain about generating a mix of quoted and non-quoted
column names in some places, but fixing that for me would
undoubtedly inconvenience others; I guess we have to consider that
behavior a feature. But the other two just look like sloppy coding
to me; it's hard to see any excuse not to call them bugs, albeit
minor ones.

-Kevin