Re: damage control mode

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-08 07:17:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> If we're going to have any chance of getting
> these patches in, we have to give the patch authors good feedback
> early in the CommitFest so that they have time to make the necessary
> revisions before the end of the CommitFest.  If we think we can swing
> it, I'm happy to handle these patches in the normal way; I'm also
> happy to say we'll review them all but not commit them for fear of
> destabilizing the tree; or we can punt them altogether.

Presuming enough reviewers (which should be the case this time given the
expectation that submitters also review), the suggested pacing here now
has every patch passing through a round of review and potentially one
update within ten days.  Given that, I'm not sure why you're looking to
special case anything here.  Give everybody a fair initial run, just
with the reminder that the bar for "ready for committer" is higher than
normal on this last CF, which people have certainly gotten some warning
of.  If your patch smells funny at all or seems like it will take a lot
of work from a committer to apply, it's out.  Giving someone a review
but then telling them "it looks good, but we just don't want to commit
it right now" is more fair than not getting that author's patch a review
at all, right?  So why bounce them prematurely?