Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜ Z <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-06 18:06:12
Lists: pgsql-www

Damien,

> While i don't have a strong opinion on this whole thread, i really think
> that local tools ( mailing-lists, websites ) should be handled by local
> communities.
>
> For example, the .fr platform already offers mailing-lists since 2006
> and so far we have 9 active lists. PG Europe also has its own ressources.
>
> From my perspective, i don't see the need of another centralized
> mailing-list system on .org

None of the mailing lists we're talking about *are* "local".
press-regional is international, funds-group is as well, etc.

I think spinning up (or merely keeping) one mailman instance on
postgresql.org resources for non-critical and/or private lists isn't
much of a resource drain. Esp. if that mail server isn't tied to
pgFoundry, so that we can (for example) delete lists which are inactive.

--Josh Berkus