Failed to run initdb - not resolved bug 5130

From: Tomas Studva <tstudva(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Failed to run initdb - not resolved bug 5130
Date: 2010-01-02 21:51:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi all gurus,

I've encountered on my computer this bug. I will try to describe all what I
have discovered till now.

1, this bug happened a few times before and wasn't resolved:
bug 5130 -
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg24810.html
bug 5222 -
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-12/msg00004.php
bug 4691 -
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-03/msg00028.php
? - http://forums.enterprisedb.com/posts/list/1845.page
I think the problem was always the same.

My case is WIN XP SP 2 and also when applied SP3. My system has only one
speciality as I know, that is I have windows installed on F partition.

Problem description:

I tried install with one click installer, it ends with error
postgresql.conf not found. In log it is failing on initdb, which clears
data dir after failure. Uninstaller is not working, do nothing when
runned. When run installation again, then upgrade mode is run, because
installation is found. This can be tricked by deleting installation from
registry and deleting win service, then new install is possible.

I was installing on path F:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4 and also tried
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4, problem is probably not with install
path.

OK, what more I have tried. MS Visuall C++ redistr. I uninstalled, so
the one with postgres comming were installed surely. I tried to enable
debug output, but it gives no new information. I was reading initdb sources
and problem is probably in this part, because I see message
"selecting default max_connections " then one error message. It
looks for me as snprintf is not executed or reached or etc.

printf(_("selecting default max_connections ... "));
fflush(stdout);

for (i = 0; i < connslen; i++)
{
test_conns = trial_conns[i];
test_buffs = MIN_BUFS_FOR_CONNS(test_conns);

snprintf(cmd, sizeof(cmd),
SYSTEMQUOTE "\"%s\" --boot -x0 %s "
"-c max_connections=%d "
"-c shared_buffers=%d "
"< \"%s\" > \"%s\" 2>&1" SYSTEMQUOTE,
backend_exec, boot_options,
test_conns, test_buffs,
DEVNULL, DEVNULL);
status = system(cmd);
if (status == 0)
{
ok_buffers = test_buffs;
break;
}
}
if (i >= connslen)
i = connslen - 1;
n_connections = trial_conns[i];

printf("%d\n", n_connections);

Now I am out of ideas, I can try to install some older version of
postgres, but i had some problems also with that (but it is not
important for this). I want to install this new version. Can u help me
please?

Sincerely Tomas Studva.

Attachment Content-Type Size
initdb_full_console.log text/plain 1.9 KB