Re: Application name patch - v3

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application name patch - v3
Date: 2009-12-29 13:12:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le 29/12/2009 00:03, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 28/12/2009 22:59, Tom Lane a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> writes:
>>
>>> I'm interested in working on this. But I don't find the thread that talk
>>> about this.
>>
>> Try here
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4AAE8CCF.9070808@esilo.com
>>

> Thanks. I've read all the "new version of PQconnectdb" and "Determining
> client_encoding from client locale" threads. I think I understand the
> goal. Still need to re-read this one
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/6222.1253734019@sss.pgh.pa.us) and
> completely understand it (will probably need to look at the code, at
> least the PQconnectdb one). But I'm definitely working on this.

If I try to sum up my readings so far, this is what we still have to do:

1. try the one-array approach
PGconn *PQconnectParams(const char **params)

2. try the two-arrays approach
PGconn *PQconnectParams(const char **keywords, const char **values)

Instead of doing a wrapper around PQconnectdb, we need to refactor the
whole function, so that we can get rid of the parsing of the conninfo
string (which is quite complicated).

Using psql as an example would be a good idea, AFAICT.

Am I right? did I misunderstand or forget something?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org