Re: Serializable implementation

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Serializable implementation
Date: 2009-12-29 17:50:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 11:54 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> Serializable transaction isolation is attractive for shops with
>> active development by many programmers against a complex schema
>> because it guarantees data integrity with very little staff time
>
> I would like to see true serializability in some form as well.

Would you be able to help with the development in any way?

I just had a chat with our Deputy CIO, and he said that in this next
phase, where we decide what to prioritize and what resources to
allocate:

(1) He said that they would be looking to apply programming
resources to this rather than cash. Any new contracting would be a
hard sell under the current budget constraints. (Nobody's getting a
raise for the next couple years and we're all having to take unpaid
days off; apparently adding in hours from new contractors would be
viewed as subverting that effort....) :-(

I had been assuming that contracting out for the expertise was an
option, as we've done that before; but apparently the times have
changed -- at least for now. Apologies.

(2) He said that a factor in authorizing even the programming time
would be whether others in the PostgreSQL community cared enough
about the issue to help with development.

We have three meetings with the CIO scheduled in January to
prioritize and assign resources to various issues identified as
beneficial over the next four year period. Any indications of
support for this issue from the community will bolster the chances
that we invest significant programming resources in it.

-Kevin