Re: SATA drives performance

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: Glyn Astill <glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SATA drives performance
Date: 2009-12-28 18:37:12
Lists: pgsql-performance
Glyn Astill wrote:
> Last month I found myself taking a powerdrill to our new dell
> boxes in order to route cables to replacement raid cards. Having
> to do that made me feel really unprofessional and a total cowboy,
> but it was either that or shitty performance.

Can you be more specific?  Which Dell server, which RAID card, what were the performance problems, and what did you buy to fix them?

We're thinking of expanding our servers, and so far have had no complaints about our Dell servers.  My colleagues think we should buy more of the same, but if there's some new problem, I'd sure like to know about it.

Thanks!
Craig