Re: Closing out CommitFest 2009-11

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru
Subject: Re: Closing out CommitFest 2009-11
Date: 2009-12-15 19:44:36
Lists: austinpug pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> -New VACUUM FULL
>>

> I get the impression there is still some discussion that needs to
> happen about the design of this. I think we should mark it Returned
> with Feedback for now, and let whoever ends up working on it resubmit
> whatever ends up getting agreed on.

Given that some of the issues here intertwine with Hot Standby
integration, Simon has already said he'll work on getting this
committed, executing on the plan outlined at
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1260843982.1955.3436.camel@ebony

I just pinged him, and even the first useful step there isn't going to
wrap up in time for this CommitFest and therefore alpha3. Accordingly,
this one is going to stay in "ready for committer" but slip past
stamping the end of this CF. I've marked him as the committer there and
bounced it forward to the next CF.

Simon is still burning the midnight oil to get us a version of HS that
can be committed, the hope is that it's ready to go tomorrow. I think
the best we can do here is to block and/or document any known
limitations/bugs, so long as the feature works for almost all use cases
it seems worth including now. Given that there's a working VF rewrite
patch that just needs final integration and testing, it seems reasonable
to me to commit HS with a warning that VF still has open issues when
combined with that feature. Then everyone can continue to work through
removing any reason you'd need the problematic form of VF anyway, so
that the caveat turns into a non-issue. I'm more concerned about making
sure we get plenty of testing in on HS *alone* to make sure there aren't
any non-HS regressions introduced by its changes, before that gets even
more complicated by adding SR on top of it.

As for the tsearch improvements, not to trivialize the patch, but I
think this one will survive being committed between alpha3 & CF 2010-01
if it doesn't make it in this week. Teodor can work on getting that
committed when he has time, I don't think we need to wait for it.

Sounds like we just are waiting for Simon to finish up, which is
expected to happen by tomorrow, and for Tom to wrap up working on the
ProcessUtility_hook. That makes the first reasonable date to consider
alpha3 packaging Thursday 12/17 I think.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com