Re: START-value for sequences

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: START-value for sequences
Date: 2009-12-14 06:39:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi Dave!

On 10.12.2009 15:34, dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
> <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>  wrote:
>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I have been absent to finish my uni degree. Now I am fully back at work and
>> make heavy use of pgAdmin again, which inevitably leads to bug reports ...
>>
> Oh joy - there go my evenings :-p
>
> Seriously though - great to have you back!

Thanks for warm welcome. :)
I will try and go easy on your precious evenings as mine are limited as
well. I'll have to catch up with recent developments first, too.

>> Running pgAdmin 1.10.1 (Dec 3 2009, rev: 8025:8026M) on Win XP. Server: pg
>> 8.4.1 on Debian Lenny.
>> I think there is a glitch in the sequence properties dialog:
>>
>> I tried to change a run-of-the-mill sequence, so that it gives negative
>> values. Could not be done with the properties dialog.
>> "Value of START cannot be greater than  MAXVALUE" - but the properties
>> dialog does not provide a field for START. Users are out of luck, has to be
>> done with SQL.
>> Screenshot attached.
>>
> Start Value becomes Current Value on the properties dialogue for
> existing sequences. I hadn't noticed that that option was added for
> 8.4.
>
> That whole dialogue is a minefield to modify, as the countless
> combinations of changes the user can make, can cause an
> correspondingly countless number of combinations of variations that
> are required in the ordering of the SQL statements to make those
> changes. I wonder though, if having START fixes that for us by
> allowing us to do everything in a single statement....
>
> Anyway, I think his will have to be fixed for 1.12. As it's you,
> there's no need for us to triage your bugs, so if you let me know your
> community account username, i'll give you access to
> http://code.pgadmin.org/ so you can log bugs directly (if you don't
> mind, starting with this one :-) ).

My pg community account is "brsa".

Logging a bug is just creating a new ticket I assume.
Guidelines on priority setting? Any document I should read to get
started? Didn't see anything obvious on code.pgadmin.org.
Where do possible questions on the handling go? To the list? Private
mail to you?

Regards
Erwin