Re: Review request: XLogInsert

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-rrreviewers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review request: XLogInsert
Date: 2009-12-07 00:10:54
Lists: pgsql-rrreviewers
Robert Haas wrote:
> I made an effort to document this in the section of the "Running a
> CommitFest" page that is entitled "Followup, Followup, Followup".  But
> that effort may not have been as successful as might have been wished
All that documentation was a big help for getting started.  The main
problem with how you were chasing after things is that I think it was a
bit too patch-specific.  The parts that we still need to work on are
more related to overall time flow.  For example, I'd prefer to see some
hard date guidelines for when exactly to start really aggressively
booting patches out, rather than the useful but somewhat fuzzy ones
you've got listed there now.

The idea of giving every individual patch its own timetable is fair but
very time intensive.  I think we'll have much better luck at getting
other people to do this job if it's chunked into a task checklist you
run through once or twice a week.

> I have some time tonight I'd be willing to put into taking a sweep
> through the patch queue, if you'd like me to take a swing at it.
I just finished up the big deliverable I had to deal with today, I'm
about to dump a few hours into that job.  You should continue enjoying
your break.