Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 22:40:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> What I was trying to suggest was that right now, there are situations
>> where a new deployment on 8.1 is still completely reasonable and
>> possible to justify in the Enterprise Linux space, whereas I don't know
>> of any situation where 7.4/8.0 can be similarly defended as a good
>> idea.
> Okay, but how much of the argument for that hinges on it being the only
> thing Red Hat will support on RHEL5?
Sure, at some point in 2010, we may reach a point where it would be ill
advised to build a new system using RHEL5/PG8.1.  I was suggesting more
that there are completely reasonable reasons to deploy 8.1 even right
now in 2009, and people are doing so.  That gives the release a lot more
future than 7.4 and 8.0, which anyone sensible gave up on a while ago.
I'm all for dropping those older ones, but I don't think getting more
aggressive than that and bundling 8.1 in while you're at it is so wise.