Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 22:05:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, actually, if it's just "what will RH support", I just today got
> launch commit on this...

What I was trying to suggest was that right now, there are situations
where a new deployment on 8.1 is still completely reasonable and
possible to justify in the Enterprise Linux space, whereas I don't know
of any situation where 7.4/8.0 can be similarly defended as a good
idea.  That makes supporting 8.1 quite a bit more valuable to the
community than the earlier releases IMHO.

Moving forward, I was hoping that we all get RHEL6 as a deployment
option in the not so distant future for a platform that integrates 8.4
from day one; I didn't think that deploying RHEL5 was going to be the
only choice for too much longer.