Re: bytea and text

From: "Jean-Yves F(dot) Barbier" <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea and text
Date: 2009-11-27 14:18:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jasen Betts a écrit :
> On 2009-11-26, Jean-Yves F. Barbier <12ukwn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm asking myself what solution for storing pictures is the best:
>>
>> * using a BYTEA column type, and having no intrinsic compression gain
>> because a picture it almost every time already compressed,
>>
>> * using a TEXT column type, and store a Base64(picture) in it; it should
>> take benefits of intrinsic compression (?).
>
> use bytea and convert to/from base64 if you can't use the binary
> interface and find the text interface inconvenient.

that's what I do now

> this will make the data over 1/3 bigger.

uuu, na: it comes as Base64 (to avoid a 0x89 unknown utf8 char error), but it
is converted to BYTEA as I now use decode('inparm', 'base64') before insert,
as back to Base64 when I extract it (with encode).

--
* JHM wonders what Joey did to earn "I'd just like to say, for the record,
that Joey rules."