Re: cvs chapters in our docs

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cvs chapters in our docs
Date: 2009-11-26 11:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:28 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> In the installation instructions chapter, there is a section "Getting
>> the Source", which could warrant a link or reference to the appropriate
>> instructions on the web site.
>
> I have to say I'm not really impressed by the idea of removing things
> from our documentation and replacing them with pages on the wiki. The
> documentation is better-written and easier to navigate.

I agree in general, but information about version control isn't really
part of the product. For example, if we switch from CVS to Git, and
decide to pull the plug on the CVS server (hypotethically; in reality
I'm sure we'd leave the CVS server around for historical purposes), the
information becomes obsolete.

--
Heikki Linnakangas