Re: RAID card recommendation

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jochen Erwied <jochen(at)pgsql-performance(dot)erwied(dot)eu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID card recommendation
Date: 2009-11-25 16:45:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> Jochen Erwied wrote:
>> - Promise Technology Supertrak ES4650 + additional BBU
>> - Adaptec RAID 5405 SGL/256 SATA/SAS + additional BBU
>> - Adaptec RAID 5405Z SGL/512 SATA/SAS
>>
> I've never seen a Promise controller that had a Linux driver you would
> want to rely on under any circumstances...Easier to just buy from a
> company that has always cared about good Linux support, like 3ware.
+1

I haven't tried Promise recently, but last time I did I determined that
they got the name because they "Promise" the Linux driver for your card
will be available real-soon-now. Actually got strung along for a couple
months before calling my supplier and telling him to swap it out for a
3ware. The 3ware "just works". I currently have a couple dozen Linux
servers, including some PostgreSQL machines, running the 3ware cards.

Cheers,
Steve