Re: getUdateCount() vs. RETURNING clause

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getUdateCount() vs. RETURNING clause
Date: 2009-11-25 13:42:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:

> You never call getMoreResults(), so you are only looking at a single
> result, which is either a resultset or an update count, never both.

Also, looking at the code a bit more, RETURNING is a bit of a special
case. Normally, if you have a command that returns a resultset, the
command status is ignored (you generally don't care about the command
status of, for example, a SELECT). Presumably that's happening here too.
(But the advice regarding getMoreResults() is generally applicable, e.g.
if you have a multiple-statement query).

You may have more success using something like this:

> PreparedStatement pstmt = con.prepareStatement("UPDATE something with no RETURNING clause", new String[] { "some_column" });
> int updateCount = pstmt.executeUpdate();
> ResultSet results = pstmt.getGeneratedKeys();

The driver glues on an appropriate RETURNING clause and arranges for the
resulting resultset to appear via getGeneratedKeys(); the update count
should still appear as expected.

(I haven't actually tried this. caveat emptor)

-O