Re: [GENERAL] How duplicate data produce when a UNIQUE index exite ?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: RD黄永卫 <yongwei_huang(at)gtmc(dot)com(dot)cn>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How duplicate data produce when a UNIQUE index exite ?
Date: 2009-11-25 07:44:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> My postgreSQL version is :
>> PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2.3
>> 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-56)
>>

> You are aware that 8.1.x is up to 8.1.18, right, that's 14 or so
> updates you're missing. Could one of them have fixed a bug that
> causes this? Sure. Look through the changelogs to be sure, but why
> not just keep your pgsql version up to date? It's easier.
>
> Or are you running some redhat version that stays the same number
> while getting bugs back ported to it or something?

That GCC string suggests this is a RHEL3 system, which would have
shipped with PostgreSQL 7.3. Not sure how they got 8.1 onto there, but a
later 8.1 is certainly a useful first step to take here, before they get
any more corruption from that ancient version when trying to fix things.
Compiling PostgreSQL on RHEL3 from source has some fun challenges;
http://markmail.org/message/2bclakrjfxtgwcge#query:+page:1+mid:jhj3yf7zxfmsi22i+state:results
covers the main one I'm aware of. And unfortunately
http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.1/redhat/rhel3.0/ seems to be empty, so a
source build may be the only good route to get a newer version onto there.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com