pgsql cluster

From: Démi Zsolt <zsdemi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql cluster
Date: 2009-11-20 20:44:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

My name is Zsolt and I would like to ask for some advice, because I'm
novice in this topic. We would like to install our webpage based on
postgresql to our server.

We have the following architecture :
2 load balancer, 2 ibm server, 1 shared storage.

The shared storage has redundant controllers and the storage is
connected to the servers through redundant optical cable. The
loadbalancer is redundant too. The load balancers choose the less loaded
server to serve the webpage requests.

I have gone throught the postgresql documentation as I see there is two
clustering solution.
- pgpool (http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/)
- pgcluster (http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/1_3/pglb_conf.html)

What I need :
- one ip address/port to connect from webapplication
- two postgresql server running on the 2 ibm server accesing the same
database stored on the shared storage.

Which clustering solution is the better for me? Can I setup two
loadbalancer to be redundant? Can access the same database on the
shared storage the two postgresql server?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards
Zsolt