Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: cb <cb(at)mythtech(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is Diskeeper Automatic Mode safe?
Date: 2009-11-17 02:45:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> cb <cb(at)mythtech(dot)net> writes:
>
>> Ugh, yeah, I'd love to upgrade but the powers that get to make that
>> decision have no interest in upgrading. So I'm stuck on 8.0.4,
>>

> Make sure you're not in the line of fire when (not if) that version
> eats your data.  Particularly on Windows, insisting on not upgrading
> that version is unbelievably, irresponsibly stupid.  There are a
> *large* number of known bugs.

Yeah, the prudent thing to do in your situation is to issue a CYA memo
that says something like "I think the hardware is OK, but due to large
number of bugs in PostgreSQL 8.0.4 on Windows it's easy for the database
to become corrupted anyway", point toward
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/release.html to support that
claim and note that 8.0.22 is the absolutely minimum version anyone
should be running, then CC everyone up the management chain.  You're
using a version that considers your data quite tasty and would like to
make a snack of it at the first opportunity that arises.