Re: [GENERAL] Point in Time Recovery WAS: Hot Backup

From: "Sandeep Chadha" <sandeep(at)newnetco(dot)com>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Point in Time Recovery WAS: Hot Backup
Date: 2002-10-09 16:46:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I'd have agree on most of what you said. I still think most crashes occur due to data corruption which can only be recovered by using a good backup.

Anyways my problem is I have a 5 gig database. I run a cron job every hour which runs pg_dump which takes over 30 minutes to run and degrades the db performance. I was hoping for something which can solve my problem and then I don't have to take backup every hour. Is there a plan on implementing incremental backup technique for pg_dump or Is it going to be same for next one or two releases.

Thanks much For you time
Sandeep.