Re: Crazy query plan.

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Oleg Serov <serovov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crazy query plan.
Date: 2009-11-14 05:20:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sorry for the multiple replies-to-self, but this seemed worth
specifically noting: the expansion also results in multiple calls to
tuple-returning functions, even functions marked VOLATILE. For example:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION expandtest(INTEGER) RETURNS test AS $$
DECLARE
rec test;
BEGIN
RAISE NOTICE 'expandtest(%)',$1;
rec.a := $1;
rec.b := $1;
rec.c := $1;
rec.d := $1;
RETURN rec;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' STRICT VOLATILE;

craig=# SELECT (expandtest(1)).*;
NOTICE: expandtest(1)
NOTICE: expandtest(1)
NOTICE: expandtest(1)
NOTICE: expandtest(1)
a | b | c | d
---+---+---+---
1 | 1 | 1 | 1
(1 row)

I don't know if that's intended behaviour or not, but I certainly find
it very _surprising_ behaviour, especially given the otherwise
equivalent translation:

craig=# SELECT t.* FROM expandtest(1) t;
NOTICE: expandtest(1)
a | b | c | d
1 | 1 | 1 | 1
(1 row)