Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server

From: Sachin Srivastava <sachin(dot)srivastava(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, tomas(at)tuxteam(dot)de, Abhishek <abhishek(dot)sawant111(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5168: cannot login to server
Date: 2009-11-05 17:38:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs
If the installation is done by the One-Click Installer (from
EnterpriseDB), Then it contains the
Please check the /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/lib directory for that library.
It's strange though as the path is added in your
Also if your system has in /lib or /usr/lib that will take
precedence but the error suggest you dont.

On 11/05/2009 09:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>  writes:
>> That's not a standard location for PostgreSQL under Fedora.  It could
>> be some other RPM repository (which?) but if so the dependencies are
>> broken, since otherwise it would've insisted on having the matching
>> SSL libraries installed too.  My suspicion is that this is a home-brew
>> compile, but in any case the broad outline of the picture is clear:
>> the SSL libraries are not installed where PostgreSQL can find them.
> A local compile could not have generated an executable containing a
> reference to a library that's not on the system.  My bet is that the
> OP installed an RPM that's not for this specific version of Fedora
> (and used --nodeps to override rpm's complaints about the lack of
> required libraries).
> If you can't find a set of RPMs that exactly match your system, the
> best bet would be to grab the source RPM (SRPM) and rebuild locally.
> That should generate RPMs that match the library versions you have.
> Another solution is to move to a version of Fedora that's still
> maintained ...
> 			regards, tom lane

Sachin Srivastava