Re: BUG #5163: Admin can't connect and won't use port 5432

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: cnicol(at)mediasensorcorp(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5163: Admin can't connect and won't use port 5432
Date: 2009-11-04 12:30:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

[Please reply to the list, not just to me - use the "reply all" button]

cnicol(at)mediasensorcorp(dot)com wrote:
> Tried a few time to uninstall and install. Is there additional
> unsinstall steps beyond the remove program control panel thing?

Assuming you installed using the installer, rather than using the
non-installer .zip and creating the service etc yourself, then removing
PostgreSQL using the add/remove programs should be all that is required.

> I port
> scanned and nothing was using port 5432.

A port scan is the wrong tool for the job.

Use the operating system's built in "netstat" command to show listening
ports. You can use it via cmd.exe. Search the Internet and read the
built-in help (start with "netstat /?") for more information if you have
trouble.

> I turned the firewall off in
> order to even install it.

That is not necessary.

> Unfortunately the client app needs 5432 port to be used and I can't
> change it to 5433.

So edit postgresql.conf and change the port the server uses to port
5432, then restart the service. Not hard.

postgresql.conf lives in a subdirectory of the directory you installed
PostgreSQL in. If you use PgAdmin III you can open postgresql.conf via
its menus - it's under "Tools" -> "Server Configuration".

--
Craig Ringer