Re: database size growing continously

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Peter Meszaros <pme(at)prolan(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database size growing continously
Date: 2009-10-29 16:21:35
Lists: pgsql-performance
Peter Meszaros wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I use postgresql 8.3.7 as a huge queue. There is a very simple table
> with six columns and two indices, and about 6 million records are
> written into it in every day continously commited every 10 seconds from
> 8 clients. The table stores approximately 120 million records, because a
> cron job daily deletes those ones are older than 20 day. Autovacuum is
> on and every settings is the factory default except some unrelated ones
> (listen address, authorization). But my database is growing,
> characteristically ~600MByte/day, but sometimes much slower (eg. 10MB,
> or even 0!!!)...

Can you try running against 8.4.1? I believe there are a number of
improvements that should help in your case. For one thing, the
max_fsm_pages and max_fsm_relation "knobs" are gone - it happens
automagically. I believe there are some substantial improvements in
space reuse along with numerous improvements not directly related to
your question.

Cheers,
Steve