Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-29 12:56:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
> 2009/10/29 Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>:
>
>> Pavel Stehule wrote:

>>> I understand, but this behave is confusing. Maybe better is using some
>>> trivial keywords like append, delete, reset
>>>
>>> so
>>> append custom_variable_class = 'x'
>>> append custom_variable_class = 'y'
>>> append custom_variable_class = 'z'
>>>
>>> is custom_variable_classes = 'x,y,z'
>>>

>> Why not allow something like += or .= instead of the = to denote appending
>> to a list?
>>
>>   custom_variable_classes += 'x'
>>
>> seems a whole lot nicer to me.
>>

> -1
>
> not all people knows C like languages. I don't thing so this is
> readable for non programmers.

Really, they don't know any Perl or Python or Java either? Maybe.

Anyway, it seems to me a whole lot better than inventing a new thing
that makes "custom_variable_class" as something to append to
"custom_variable_classes". If you're going to insist on using "append
foo = 'x'" at least let it apply to the list that is actually being
appended to, so we don't need to keep track of singular and plural
forms. That's the part of your suggestion I really object to.

cheers

andrew