Should we warn users about SETs which have no effect?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Should we warn users about SETs which have no effect?
Date: 2009-10-27 16:36:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

There are some GUCs you can set in a context which will accept them, yet
they have no effect when you do.  For example, I can call SET
statement_timeout inside a function, and it has no effect whatsoever.

I'm wondering if we should be throwing a warning in these cases.  And
how many such cases there are.  Thoughts?

--Josh Berkus

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2009-10-27 16:43:20