Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?
Date: 2009-10-26 22:03:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>> it should be light relation. 'DO' should be parametrised, and psql can
>> use own variables as 'DO' parameters.
>
> I see, because `DO` is a statement, not an expression. Thus arguments
> don't really make much sense (I wish it was an expression!).
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to tie SQL syntax to a feature of a
> client, though.

Me either.

I think we need to take this more slowly. Frankly, I think we have most
of what we really wanted already, and I suspect anything else is
probably not worth the code complexity involved. The original motivation
as I understood it was to enable people to embed a piece of pl/foo in a
script with minimal syntactic overhead, and I think that's been achieved.

cheers

andrew