Re: table corrupted

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <joaoem(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: table corrupted
Date: 2009-10-26 20:56:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>>>"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:
>
>> This reply is wholly inappropriate for a Pg list. We are here to
>> help people. If you have a consultancy, please feel free to list
>> that but any discussion of rates is just plain rude. Please use
>> better discretion in the future.
>>

> Perhaps.  Though, I only posted because you made it sound somewhat
> impossible and because I only know of a few ppl in the PG community
> that offer it and/or have done is successfully.  Maybe letting
> people know there are options, other than being screwed, is wrong...
> my bad :-)

That really sounded disingenuous.

It would probably be appropriate to point out that there are numerous
sources of professional support for PostgreSQL.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support

As someone who ran a consulting business for 25 years and has been on
both sides of the calls for assistance on recovery from database
problems (and currently not in that business, so I have no ax to grind
here), that post was inappropriate for the list.  I don't think anyone
would fault you (or anyone else) for making a polite offer of
assistance off-list, as long as you quietly bow out if they're not
interested; but anybody who is a professional in this business should
know better than to post that to the list.  There are several reasons,
and they should be obvious.

-Kevin