Re: JDBC with PG 8.4 bytea character escaping wire protocol

From: David Wall <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC with PG 8.4 bytea character escaping wire protocol
Date: 2009-10-22 15:59:54
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> Does the JDBC 4 driver for PG 8.4 escape each character of the bytea
> type, or does it use a binary protocol?
>
> From another post, Merlin Moncure wrote, "libpq supports a binary
> protocol mode which allows you to execute queries sending bytea
> without escaping." Is that true of the JDBC driver? I'm concerned
> about the data size expansion that would result for the wire protocol
> when I use setBytes().

I tried downloading the JDBC source and must say it was complex enough
to a newbie that I couldn't really determine the answer myself. Does
anybody know if the JDBC driver with PG 8.4 communicates using a binary
protocol for BYTEA transfers to/from or whether it sends escaped chars
only? Or perhaps which classes handle the transfer of BYTEA to PG and
receives BYTEA responses from PG?

Thanks,
David