Re: strange postgresql x mysql comparison in forrester analyse

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange postgresql x mysql comparison in forrester analyse
Date: 2009-10-19 06:03:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009, Ron Mayer wrote:
>
>> Would have been nice if they had pointed to the benchmark they had in
>> mind.  The only well known published benchmark I see (on spec.org)
>> that compares postgres to many of these other databases made us look
>> OK to me.
>
> Found the talk I was alluding to:
> http://blogs.sun.com/jkshah/entry/postgresql_east_2008_talk_postgresql
> Note the TCP-H summary on P26.  Out of the 21 queries in that standard
> benchmark load, PostgreSQL basically doesn't handle 9 of them.  Makes it
> hard for businesses to trust you can deploy it as a generic database
> application for data-warehouse purposes knowing there are some sizable
> holes there.  And it's difficult to push back and dispute claims of
> benchmark issues with the database vs. the commercial products knowing
> it's not hard to discover said holes.

well for a long time our main problem with TPC-H was that we actually
delivered the wrong(!) answer (due to the half done SQL spec interval
implementation) to a number of queries there.
This issue was also mentioned in a number of other
benchmarks/comparisions like
http://monetdb.cwi.nl/projects/monetdb/SQL/Benchmark/TPCH/index.html.

While 8.4 should now run those queries correctly we are still far away
from being a serious competitor on a dataware house workload like this
so I agree that we still have ways to got...

Stefan