Re: [PERFORM] Regarding facing lot of time Consumed by Socket.Poll()

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: keshav upadhyaya <ukeshav2009(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Regarding facing lot of time Consumed by Socket.Poll()
Date: 2009-10-15 20:50:21
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

keshav upadhyaya wrote:
> 2- Internally it calls thse function i am listing the last stack
>
> NpgsqlConnector.Open()
> Npgsql.NpgsqlConnectedState.Startup(NpgsqlConnector)
> Npgsql.NpgsqlState.ProcessBackendResponses(NpgsqlConnector)
> *[Wall Time] System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Poll(Int32, SelectMode)*
>
> Finally in last the socket.poll takes most of the time .
>

> I want to know the probably causes of the socket.poll() consumes allot of
> time .

I don't know much about Npgsql driver, but I'd guess that it's spending
a lot of time on Socket.Poll, because it's waiting for a response from
the server, sleeping. If you're investigating this because you feel that
queries are running too slowly, you should look at what the queries are
and investigate why they're slow in the server, e.g with EXPLAIN
ANALYZE. If you're investigating this because you're seeing high CPU
load in the client, try finding an option in the profiler to measure CPU
time, not Wall time.

--
Heikki Linnakangas