table inheritance - useful?

From: Matthew Weigel <unique(at)idempot(dot)net>
To: austinpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: table inheritance - useful?
Date: 2009-10-08 05:59:54
Lists: austinpug

One of the things I've heard touted for a long time about Postgres - but never
used - is table inheritance. As far as I can tell, it's the only feature that
leads to Postgres being considered an "object-relational" database system.

I've done some Googling on the matter and it *seems* like virtually no one is
using it or working on it; an approach that was interesting and had potential,
but perhaps has fallen by the wayside now.

Does anyone actually use it? Has it been useful for more naturally doing
object/relational mapping? I've read the documentation and caveats on what it
does and does not provide (indexes applying to only single tables is probably
the most worrisome), but I'm curious about real-world experiences with it.
--
Matthew Weigel
hacker