Re: foreign data wrappers

From: Zheng Yang <zhengyang4k(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)chesnok(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: foreign data wrappers
Date: 2011-03-24 08:49:19
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-students
Hi Guillaume,

Thanks very much! Your answers help a lot!

> Le 24/03/2011 06:39, Zheng Yang a écrit :
>
>> 4) Is theFDW something similar to the Mysql storage engine architecture?
>>

> Not really.

AFAIK,there is a CSV storage engine in MySql that serves as a wrapper, enable executing SQL queries directly on the file.
This makes me think that the CSV FDW was doing similar things.

>> 5) for the datalink, the doc has mentioned about it's going to be OS dependent. but i dun quite understand how does the kernel module and LD_PRELOAD will work in this case, esp.LD_PRELOAD.
>>

> No idea.

I am quite new to postgresql, but slowly picking up :)  In general context, storing images directly inside DBMS fields as BLOBs was not considered as a good practice.
However, storing file directories  or links may cause inconsistency. So I am quite interested in how this datalink concept can be implemented!

> Writing some FDWs would make a really good GSoC project.
Haha, agree!  I believe that's also a great starting point for learning pgsql internals.

cheers

ZY