Re: Best suiting OS

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Denis Lussier <denis(dot)lussier(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "david(at)lang(dot)hm" <david(at)lang(dot)hm>, S Arvind <arvindwill(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best suiting OS
Date: 2009-10-05 19:39:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Carey wrote:
> On 10/5/09 11:15 AM, "Karl Denninger" <karl(at)denninger(dot)net> wrote:
>

>> I'm running the 9650s in most of my "busier" machines. Haven't tried a
>> PERC card yet - its on my list. Most of my stuff is configured as RAID
>> 1 although I have a couple of RAID 10 arrays in service; depending on
>> the data set and how it splits up I prefer to have more control of how
>> I/O is partitioned rather than let the controller pick through striping.
>>
>> I don't think I have any of the 95xx stuff out in the wild at present;
>> it didn't do particularly well in my testing in terms of performance.
>>
>> -- Karl
>>
> Let me make sure I clarify here --
>
> The 3ware 9[56]xx issues I have seen were with throughput on larger RAID
> array sizes -- 8+ disks total. On smaller arrays, I have not tested.

Interesting... I'm curious if that's why I haven't run into it - I get
damn close to N x rotational on sequential I/O out of these boards; you
can't really do better than the physics allow :)

I'll have to play with some larger (> 8 unit) Raid 1 and Raid 10 arrays
and compare to see if there's a "knee" point and whether its a function
of the aggregation through the chipset or whether it's a card issue. I
suspect it's related to the aggregation as otherwise I'd have seen it on
some of my larger configurations, but I tend to run multiple adapters
for anything more than 8 spindles, which precludes the situation you've
seen.

Of course if you NEED 12 spindles in one logical device for capacity
reasons........

-- Karl

Attachment Content-Type Size
karl.vcf text/x-vcard 124 bytes