Re: FSM search modes

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "decibel" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Itagaki Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FSM search modes
Date: 2009-10-01 16:32:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> It would be more useful to think of this as "look for huge chunks of
> space and fill them" rather than "start at beginning", since space
> won't always be right at start.

Either I misunderstand you or I disagree.  If there's a huge chunk of
space near the end, and many many smaller spaces spread throughout,
what I'd like is for rows to be placed in those small ones.  This
would minimize the number of pages to read for queries, and would
present some possibility that the rows past the huge chunk might
eventually be deleted or non-HOT updated, allowing the bloat to
eventually be cleaned up with minimal pain.

-Kevin