Re: CommitFest 2009-09, two weeks on

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CommitFest 2009-09, two weeks on
Date: 2009-09-30 16:24:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>>> OTOH, I'd hate to hold the commitfest hostage for that. Perhaps it
>>> should be returned to author at this point, I should move on to other
>>> patches to get the commitfest closed ASAP, and continue reviewing and
>>> polishing that right after the commitfest.
>> FWIW, I'd rather you kept focusing on those two patches while other
>> committers work on the rest.  From what I've seen you're finding a
>> whole lot of broken or at least questionable stuff, and even if they're
>> individually minor issues, that adds up to a lot of instability.
>> I agree that these patches need special attention and should not be
>> treated exactly the same as we'd treat smaller patches.
> I tend to agree.  I think it's reasonable for you (meaning Heikki) to
> devote far more time and effort to those patches than you would to
> other patches implementing more run-of-the-mill features, and it seems
> like there is no shortage of things to find and fix.  I don't think
> that having you take a break to work on other patches is going to be
> to the overall benefit of the project (and many of the more
> significant remaining patches look like they are right up Tom's alley
> anyway).

Ok, good, I'm more than happy to continue fine-combing hot standby.

> That having been said, if Hot Standby is still closer to commit than
> Streaming Replication, it might make sense to push Streaming
> Replication off until November, or at least post-CommitFest.

Commitfest or no-commitfest, I'm planning to continue working on the
streaming replication patch in any case until it's committed.

>  Do you
> have any sense of how soon you'll feel confident to commit either
> patch?

I'm bad at estimating. Not this week for sure, and next week I'm
traveling and won't be able to spend as much time on it as I am right
now. If no new major issues are found, and all the outstanding issues
are resolved by me or Simon by then, maybe the week after that.

  Heikki Linnakangas