Re: Compression

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Eric Jain <eric(dot)jain(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Compression
Date: 2009-09-29 00:00:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Eric Jain wrote:
> Came across an old announcement for a product called "Mammoth S/JDBC"
> that claimed to have "support for compressed connection streams"
> [http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2003-04/msg00010.php].
>
> Looking for the product page, I found that "S/JDBC was discontinued as
> the Open Source version reached the same capability level "
> [http://www.commandprompt.com/products/tips].
>
> That's good news -- but I couldn't find any mention of such a feature
> in the documentation [http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/head/]?

Can you explain what a "compressed connection stream" is? AFAIK, there
is no such thing supported by the standard server. (And there's been a
wire protocol version change since that release announcement, fwiw)

Possibly, you could convince the underlying SSL/TLS provider to
negotiate SSL compression. I don't know the details of how to do that
offhand.

-O