db size and tables size difference

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: db size and tables size difference
Date: 2009-09-24 20:26:49
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom Lane wrote:

> Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca> writes:
> > The issue may be with pg_size_pretty() results, I don't have details
> > knowledge of this function.
>
> I doubt it, that's a pretty simple function ... but if you don't trust
> it, just remove the pg_size_pretty call and look directly at the output
> of the size functions.

Hi Tom,
pg_tablespace_size() function shows same size as tables size SQL
statements close to 6.5 GB , here is output for the bigest tablespace
select pg_tablespace_size('caom_data');
pg_tablespace_size
--------------------
6218108932
select pg_tablespace_size('caom_index');
pg_tablespace_size
--------------------
837201924
select pg_tablespace_size('tap_data');
pg_tablespace_size
--------------------
65689

select pg_database_size('cvodb');
pg_database_size
------------------
13279260268
How can I get more details of how pg_database_size() is been executed ?

> > select pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size('db1'));
>
> Just to double check here ... you're sure you're naming the correct
> database in this call?

yes
Thank you
Isabella

> regards, tom lane

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella(dot)Ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre | http://www1.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045