Re: OOM on large SELECT

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Angelo Nicolosi <amenuor(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OOM on large SELECT
Date: 2009-09-16 16:30:59
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Angelo Nicolosi wrote:
> It's possible that the problem is in my C code but every time that I'm
> allocating memory, using always the palloc() function, I'm always
> calling the pfree().
> There is some way to analyze the code meanwhile is working inside the
> Postgre server (something like valgrind)?
> However the command free -m on my machine outputs:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 2010 664 1345 0 157 383
> -/+ buffers/cache: 123 1886
> Swap: 16386 41 16345
>
> I think that the swap is enough.
> Could you give me some tips about how can I see where is the problem?
> Thank you for your help!

do you know what query you were making when you ran out of memory? it
-appears- it was a postgres server process that was OOM'd.

what OS and version are you on (OOM seems to imply its likely linux,
since no other OS I'm familiar with would randomly kill processes like
that), what version postgres, etc ?

also, what are the various memory settings in your postgresql.conf
(shared_buffers, work_mem, etc)