Re: Application/wiki wanted for Beta/Alpha testing

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application/wiki wanted for Beta/Alpha testing
Date: 2009-09-10 17:34:45
Lists: pgsql-www

>> I wouldn't necessarily be averse to implementing something like this
>> as part of the commitfest app at some point. But I wonder if it
>> wouldn't be better to start by just using a wikitable. A lot of times
>> doing it the quick-and-dirty way first causes you to learn new things
>> about the requirements, and a wikitable is a lot easier to modify
>> after-the-fact than a full app.

Well, just raw wiki wouldn't be palatable. We're talking about
enlisting testers who aren't necessarily regular www.postgresql.org
contributors, so anything which requires them to be fiddly about
punctuation and formatting is going to be a failure. The goal here is
to make it very very easy for people to report alpha/beta tests so that
they do so.

I would plan to, eventually, write an e-mail parser as well so that ...
hmmm.

You know, report by e-mail would be relatively easy. In fact, easier
than a webapp. And it would allow for several rapid generations of
changing the data collected.

Can I just have a pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing list, and I'll
do the rest for the first round?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.