Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-31 18:16:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> Huh, who has asked for a list from me?  This entire post is mostly
> over-the-top and not worth responding to.

To quote myself:

> Post-CF:
> 	Make a list (now, not in January) of the tasks which need to be done
> between CFend and Beta.  We'll find that some of them could be done by
> someone other than Tom and Bruce, and that others could be done before
> CFend.
>
> Beta:
> 	Create a mailing list (why don't we have a list for testers?  is
> testing less important than the JDBC driver?) and a simple web app or
> templated wiki page for testers.  Allow people to check in with which
> version they tested (Alpha1,2,3, Beta 1,2,3) and what tests they ran,
> and issues encountered (if any).  We should do this now so we can get
> started with Alpha testing.
> 	When this testing gets into swing, we can also look at recruiting
> volunteers to run various popular OSS apps' test suites against the
> developing version of PostgreSQL.
> 	Once beta starts, have a list of pending issues in some
> editable/commentable location (wiki is ok for this, or we can pervert
> the commitfest app) *as soon as those issues arise* so that as many
> hackers as possible can work on those issues. We did do a "pending
> issues" list for 8.4, but not until we were already over a month into
> beta, and then the list wasn't very accurate.

Therefore:

I will create a "cleanup issues" wikipage.  Please contribute to it by
listing the *general* kinds of things you need to do between CF and
beta.  Then we can look at which things don't need your special
experience and could be done by other contributors.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.