Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-31 18:16:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Huh, who has asked for a list from me?  This entire post is mostly
> over-the-top and not worth responding to.

To quote myself:

> Post-CF:
> 	Make a list (now, not in January) of the tasks which need to be done
> between CFend and Beta.  We'll find that some of them could be done by
> someone other than Tom and Bruce, and that others could be done before
> CFend.
> Beta:
> 	Create a mailing list (why don't we have a list for testers?  is
> testing less important than the JDBC driver?) and a simple web app or
> templated wiki page for testers.  Allow people to check in with which
> version they tested (Alpha1,2,3, Beta 1,2,3) and what tests they ran,
> and issues encountered (if any).  We should do this now so we can get
> started with Alpha testing.
> 	When this testing gets into swing, we can also look at recruiting
> volunteers to run various popular OSS apps' test suites against the
> developing version of PostgreSQL.
> 	Once beta starts, have a list of pending issues in some
> editable/commentable location (wiki is ok for this, or we can pervert
> the commitfest app) *as soon as those issues arise* so that as many
> hackers as possible can work on those issues. We did do a "pending
> issues" list for 8.4, but not until we were already over a month into
> beta, and then the list wasn't very accurate.

I will create a "cleanup issues" wikipage.  Please contribute to it by
listing the *general* kinds of things you need to do between CF and
beta.  Then we can look at which things don't need your special
experience and could be done by other contributors.

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.