Re: combined indexes with Gist - planner issues?

From: Hans-Juergen Schoenig -- PostgreSQL <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: combined indexes with Gist - planner issues?
Date: 2009-08-31 14:06:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Hans-Juergen Schoenig -- PostgreSQL <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
>
>> what we basically expected here is that Postgres will scan the table
>> using the index to give us the cheapest products containing the words we
>> are looking for.
>> i am totally surprised to see that we have to fetch all products given
>> the words, sort and then do the limit.
>>

> I don't know why you'd find that surprising. GIST indexes have no
> support for ordering.
>
> regards, tom lane

ok, i thought it would be something gist specific i was not aware of.
the golden question now is: i am looking for the cheapest products given
a certain text in an insane amount of data.
how to do it? other quals which could narrow down the amount of data
would not help.

i cannot see an option with regular "weapons" ...
maybe you can an idea how to fix core to make it work? maybe there is a
mechanism we could need.
we really have to make this work - no matter what it takes.
we are willing to put effort into that.

many thanks,

hans

--