Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-30 20:05:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

>> None of those ideas have gotten a single vote of confidence
>> from you or Bruce. What's your suggestion?
>
> Another solution would be to make major releases less frequent.

That's not a solution and you know it.

Our development cycle has to change with the growth of the project. I
know you don't like change and are comfortable with how we used to do
things in 2001. But at this point the old practices are holding us back
and we need to continue growing, or die.

Our old development cycle was, effectively, single-process just like the
old database engine was once. Making development more efficient and
better for all contributors is largely a process of making it parallel
by the incorporation of more people on every step, which also requires
increased transparency, openness and tracking.

Otherwise, like an overloaded database application in serializable mode,
our development will just get slower and slower until it stops completely.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.