Re: LWLock Queue Jumping

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LWLock Queue Jumping
Date: 2009-08-30 18:01:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeff Janes wrote:
> [...]

well bulk loading into unindexed tables is quite a common workload -
apart from dump/restore cycles (which we can now do in parallel) a lot
of analytic workloads are that way.
Import tons of data from various sources every night/weeek/month, index,
analyze & aggregate, drop again.

> and (iirc) also here:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-06/msg01133.php
>

> I played around a little with this, parallel bulk loads into a
> unindexed, very skinny table. If I hacked XLogInsert so that it did
> nothing but take the WALInsertLock, release it, then return a fake
> RecPtr, it scaled better but still not very well. So giant leaps in
> throughput would need to involve calling XLogInsert less often (or at
> least taking the WALInsertLock less often). You could nibble around the
> edges by tweaking what happens under the WALInsertLock, but I don't
> think that that will get you big wins by doing that for this case. But
> again, how important is this case? Are bulk loads into skinny unindexed
> tables the best test-bed for improving XLogInsert?

well you can get similiar looking profiles from other workloads (say
pgbench) as well. Pretty sure the archives have examples for those as well..

Stefan